Youth and the Church

I've been really thinking about something lately. Something that really disheartens me. Let me explain.

For some time now I have come across many students (both high school and college) that seem to have a "sour" taste when it comes to the word "conservative". Many of the young people that I have come across that state that they are followers of Christ, have absolutely no desire to be known as a conservative. My question is why? It seems to me that the younger generation views those who consider themselves as conservatists, as humorless, angry, straitlaced, no fun kind of people. Again, my question is why? Is this what they have been exposed to?

As I was getting ready for work the other day, I happened to watch an interview with two young authors who are tackling this exact topic in their book, "Why You're Wrong about the Right". Here's the brief synopsis:

"And on your right, ladies and gentlemen, please observe The Conservative (Conservitus Americanus). This fascinating species in-habits vast territories across middle America, but rarely reveals itself in coastal urban areas. It is commonly believed to be uptight, humorless, and devoid of compassion, and is often characterized as racist, homophobic, and highly eco-unfriendly. Primary behaviors include unnecessary warmongering, tax cutting, and gun collecting. For decades, conservatives have proven to be hopelessly un-hip, and their mating habits dull. They are highly feared and often despised, for so few know and understand their true nature.

Get ready to meet the conservative next door or in the office down the hall, the person you never thought in a million years was one of "them." Lively, witty, and thought-provoking, 'Why You're Wrong About the Right' blows the lid off the stereotypes that have long been associated with the American Right, and reveals the face of today's conservatives: an intellectually and philosophically diverse new breed of young, outgoing, smart, friendly professionals who live and work among liberals everywhere!"

While I'm not endorsing this book, I must say, I do plan on purchasing it to read over and see what the thoughts are of the authors, because it seems to me that unfortunately many young people seem to believe that being a conservative is not only a bad thing, but that it describes someone who is no fun.

Another disheartening bit of research I came across is this:

* Some stats say more than 70% of children and youth leave the Church by the age of 18.

* Of those who stay, approximately 90% of those leave by the age of 25.

* If these numbers are true, we have lost 97% of all the children, youth, and young adults who have either grown up or attended a Church.

I don't know about you, but this saddens me. What is it that is keeping youth from not only trusting God 100% with their lives, but also living their lives for God? As one student told me this past year, he feels that the majority of Christians are hypocrites. Of course, this just hurts me because unfortunately, I do see a lot of this in our world today. It seems to me that we have become so known for what we are against rather than who we are for, which is Jesus Christ.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts that have really been swimming around in my mind as of lately. If you have any thoughts, opinions, etc., I would love to read them.

Why does the younger generation look down upon "conservatists"?

Why are youth leaving the church?

Looking forward to reading your responses!

Jen

PS-when you get a free moment, make sure to check out the website of one of my students who is striving to live a life that is pleasing to God! This just makes my heart sing!

http://www.freewebs.com/growing-in-faith-with-mariah/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Mrs. Bennett for putting a link to my website. I hopw many people grow in their faith by visiting my site. :)

-Mariah