Be Content


Today was a sad day. My husband returned the cable box to the cable company. Why? Well, my husband and I are on a journey to save money! What do I mean by this? We truly want to cut back on expenses for a variety of reasons and the reality is, cable is one way of saving. Now, when I say cable, what I mean is that we no longer have 600 channels to choose from; we now have 72. Not only are we cutting back on cable, but we are getting rid of our house phone (who really uses a house phone anymore anyway?), Luke (my husband) will now be our lawn man, and we are looking at switching cell phone companies. All of this in our quest to save money. Additionally, we have been cutting back on eating out (we have done FANTASTIC the past two weeks!).

It’s interesting to me that all of this cutting back is taking place right as we look at what it means to be content. In our world today, it is so easy to get wrapped up in wanting more and not being thankful and grateful for what we do have. It’s easy to look at what others have and in turn, wonder why we can’t or don’t have what they have. It’s easy to compare our “things” to the “things” of others. When I get caught up in thinking that I need a bigger house, I think of my neighbor. First off let me say, we have WONDERFUL neighbors right beside us and across the street from us. Let me tell you about both of them!

Our neighbor’s right beside us have three beautiful children. They live in the exact same model as our house which means, their house is exactly the same size as ours. And you know what? They make it work with three children under five years of age!

Across the street we have our other great neighbors. What I love about them is they really know how to save money by eating at home and not eating out so much! Both of my neighbors inspire me in so many ways, and I don’t think they even know it!

The reason I say all of this is because again, it is vital that we learn to be content with what we have and what we can afford. If we desire to live lives of purpose, we must learn to be content with what God has blessed us with. Here are a few things to consider:

• When was the last time you thanked God for what He has blessed you with?
• Take some time to walk around your home thanking God for not only the home He has blessed you with, but what you have inside your home.
• Do you need to cut back in some areas?
• Are there things that you really can’t afford that maybe, you need to give up?
• Do you find yourself comparing your life to those of others? If so, ask yourself why?
• Does your bank account demonstrate your contentment?

Take some time this week to truly thank God for the many blessings in your life. Learn to be content with what you have and if you find yourself with things that you really can’t afford, look for ways to cut back. I’m on this journey with you!

No comments: