Guest Blogger

Today, we have a special guest blogger-one of my students from the school I work with. Be encouraged as she shares her thoughts with you!

"College can be such an overwhelming and scary experience. I am a senior at the school that Mrs. Bennett teaches at and will be graduating in four days. After this summer I will be going to Berry College in Rome, GA to study psychology. At the moment I am on my senior trip and it is incredible to me that the four years behind me went as quickly as they did. My college search was not the one that I would call ideal, in fact it was only by the grace of God that it worked out as well as it did. Allow me to share with you some tips that I wish I would have known before.

1) Start early: It is never too early to start looking and considering colleges, I didn't start looking at colleges until the end of my junior year and it is something that I really regretted. And while looking at a college, really try to see yourself there with the students, for FOUR YEARS! One of my college options was The College of Charleston. It is an amazing school with an amazing environment, however, I am not a city mouse, although I can appreciate the energy and the people for a week, I knew that I would not have been the most productive there regardless of how great the school is.

2) Keep yourself informed: So many kids I know are not educated about the college application process or colleges in general. This is a big decision, one that the student should be completely and totally involved in. This is one first step toward the bigger step of being independent at college. Don't be afraid to ask questions, I know that most people have a lot of them and there is certainly nothing wrong with asking someone who knows or who has been through it.

3) Recognize your strengths and your weaknesses: This is another thing that I wish I had done earlier. High school can be tough and college acceptance is getting nothing but tougher so it is important that you recognize the parts of you that are the most marketable to schools and enhance them, as well as perhaps put extra time and work in to the areas that you need work.

4) Be proud: And when it's all said and done be proud of the person God made you to be. You have something to offer and it is incredible so stop comparing yourself to "everyone else" as long as you try your best it's enough. I have always been a good student and involved with absolutely everything that my school has to offer, so I figured that when I took the SAT I wouldn't have any problems and that I would score in the top 90% (at least). Well, when I got my scores back I had to come to the realization that I was not a good test taker and my scores were certainly not in the 90% but it was OK because I tried my best and God was going to honor that effort.

5) Use your time: I have a bad habit of wishing my time away. I will say things like "oh I wish the weekend was here" or "I can't wait to be in college" but now looking back at my time in high school I realize that my time could have been much better spent if I was just able to be content within the moment and concentrate all my energy on the present. While it is important to be well prepared and well planned for the future, right now is the only thing you have been given for the moment, so use it up for all that it is worth.

6) Shoulds and if: These are terrible words; don't beat yourself with the dreaded well "if I only did this" or "I should be this way if I want to go here". Be who you are and try the best you can and stop telling yourself what you should be!!!

7) Fear: This one is the one that always gets me so while I write this it will also be something of a reminder for myself. God has got you!!! He knew your name before you were born, He knows how many hairs are on your head, He knows your future, and it’s perfect for you!!! Learn to trust God with your decisions and your future, it is not bleak. Although it may sometimes feel that way, God knows and your future is full of growth and joy. Learn to not let fear control and manipulate you.

8) Parents on fear: This is just a little side note for the parents on the topic of fear and college. Parents, when your child is a senior and trying to make a decision of where to go or already made that decision, it is the scariest time of their life. They have to grow up now, they don't want to leave you because they don't know if they can do it yet by themselves; it’s scary. Although you know that they will be fine and that they will thrive, they haven't convinced themselves of that yet. Your children love you and are so grateful to you for everything that you have done which is probably one of the reasons this is such a hard time for them. So please, just try to understand their fear and anxiety. They need you and your understanding. Your children love you for everything that you do.

9) HELP: Although you have heard it a million times, if you need it ask for it. There are many people that are willing to help you and want to see you succeed. If you need something, ask. What’s the worst thing that could happen, they say no? Oh well, just keep chugging and ask for what you want and need.


I hope that this was somewhat helpful or enlightening. As I go through college maybe I will have some more tips for you : ) Good luck in your college search and high school career and when it feels overwhelming just remember to pray your way through it!!!!"

No comments: