Investing in Yourself


You know what I find to be mind boggling? Technology! If I’m correct, I really thought that with all the advancements in technology, we would have more time to focus on ourselves. But, if you’re anything like me, you tend to grasp for time where you can actually invest in yourself. It seems that with all the “upgrades” that have taken place, we have become much busier. Is life really supposed to be this busy? I don’t think so!

Take a minute to ask yourself, when was the last time you truly invested in yourself? As women, it’s so easy to allow ourselves to continually be on the run meeting the needs of others that we fail to make it a priority to take time out for ourselves. We often times get caught up in meeting the needs of spouses, children, friends, family, employers, employees, etc., that before we know it, we are completely burned out and longing for some “me” time. At times, we even tend to feel guilty for taking that “me” time. Let me share with you a few steps to help get you that time you so desperately need and want:

1) What is wasting your time? This is a question you must ask yourself. Take time this week to write down what you do every day and the amount of time it takes you to do what you do. You might be surprised. For me, I tend to waste time watching TV. After a long day, I just want to sit and veg on the couch doing something that requires no brain power. But you know what? This is a huge time waster. Instead, I need to spend that time doing those things that energize me.

2) Schedule time for yourself. If it’s hard for you to find time for yourself, make it a priority to schedule a time on the calendar for you to truly invest in yourself. Sometimes writing out that “appointment” will free up your schedule for “me” time.

3) Learn to say no. Do you tend to say yes to everything? If so, you need to begin to learn to say no. Really ask yourself-are the things that I am involved with allowing me to use my gifts, skills, and talents that God has blessed me with? Am I passionate about what I am doing? Do I look forward to those things that I am part of? If you find that you tend to take on “things” due to guilt, you must find a way out. You must learn to say no. By saying no, you not only open the door to more time for yourself, but you also open the door to opportunities that will energize you.

4) Wake up early. If your days and nights tend to be extremely busy-make it a point to wake up early when everyone else is sleeping. Take time to enjoy the quietness of the house. Enjoy investing in yourself before the craziness of the day gets started.

So, what changes will you make this week in order to invest in yourself?

No comments: