Fear


Fear-It's something we all face at some point in our life. For some odd reason, fear has smacked me right in the face this week. I don't know about you, but it seems like the older I get, the more fears I acquire. Let me explain. When I was in my twenties, I was ready to conquer the world. Nothing scared me (except maybe the occasional roller coaster). I was OK with dying. I knew who I belonged to and really felt that when it was my time to go, it would just be my time.

Well, as I've gotten older, I have to admit, death scares me a bit. I still know who I belong to, but I still tend to have a little fear of death. I not only fear death at times, but getting on a plane also scares me a tad bit. I used to never be afraid of flying and now, I always get a little nervous when I know I'm getting ready to get on a plane. Cancer, sickness, etc., used to never scare me either. Now, if I hear numerous stories on TV about cancer, I have to turn it off or else I become a little fearful.

These past two days, I have had quite a few fears creep in. This Sunday, I'm flying out to South Carolina. Honestly, I'm a little nervous about the flight. Also, in the near future, I will be alone at home one night-this scares me. I prefer my husband to be with me. So, needless to say, I've been thinking about that.

I also found out this week that I am going on the senior trip to Tennessee in May. Well, one of the activities we will be taking part in is white water rafting. Even though I've done this multiple times, I am still a little fearful. The last thing I want to do is fall out of the raft!! Lastly, today I became aware that in order to get to the cabin in Tennessee, we will have to take the charter bus all the way up the mountain! Yes, this scares me! I'm a Florida girl, not a mountain girl! So, in the past two days, I've had 4 fears smack me down.

What do you do when you become fearful?
Who do you turn to?
What fears are holding you back from doing and being who it is that God has called you to be?


Take some time this week to really think about those fears that have creeped in. Spend some time giving those fears over to the Lord. Think about all of the people in the Bible who I'm sure were fearful at times, but yet, they did not allow that fear to keep them from being who God called them to be and doing what God called them to do:

* David (David and Goliath)
* Daniel (Daniel and the Lions)
* Moses (Moses and public speaking)
* Esther (Esther helping to set her people free)

Psalm 34:4
God met me more than halfway, he freed me from my anxious fears.

Psalm 46:1
God is a safe place to hide, ready to help when we need him.

Psalm 49:5
So why should I fear in bad times, hemmed in by enemy malice, Shoved around by bullies, demeaned by the arrogant rich?

Really take some time to give God your fears. Rest assured, I'll be doing the same thing this week!! Feel free to drop me a comment and let me know how I can pray for you and if you get a moment, feel free to throw in a prayer for me too!!

Blessings,
Jen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blogs are amazing Mrs. Bennett! I read every few days. I will be praying for you and the things that you have been fearing lately.

Have fun in South Carolina!

-Mariah Lindsey :)