Great Literature


As an English teacher, I'm always up for reading insightful, life-changing literature; literature that really gets you thinking. Currently, my seniors and AP students are reading Macbeth by Shakespeare. I must admit, this is probably one of my favorite writings by Shakespeare. This drama really gets you thinking about power, the desire for more, selfishness, hate, guilt, sin, etc. If you have not read this play, then let me encourage you to do so.

According to the book, "College in a Can", here are some other noteworthy pieces of literature that they recommend reading prior to attending college (my favorites have an asterisk by them):

Pride and Prejudice*
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Jane Eyre
Wuthering Heights
Alice in Wonderland
The Awakening
Heart of Darkness
A Tale of Two Cities
Emily Dickinson Poems
As I Lay Dying
The Great Gatsby
The Diary of a Young Girl*
Grendel
Lord of the Flies*
The Scarlet Letter*
Their Eyes Were Watching God *

I'm happy to say that many of my high school students have had the opportunity to read these classics within my classroom.

One book that I am reading right now that I have to admit, is not always the easiest to read is Kay Warren's "Dangerous Surrender". If you are looking for a book that will cause you to look on the inside and in turn, will cause you to change for the better, than let me encourage you to purchase this book. I seldom come across books that really tug at my heart when it comes to spiritual matters (I hope that doesn't say anything bad about me!). This one does it for me. I can only read so much in a day without having to put it down and basically, evaluate my life and give things over to God. This book will move you and in turn, will cause a stir in your soul. Read it only if you want to change for the better.

Alright, there you have it! This book list should keep you busy for some time!

No comments: